[MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the mesh via Internet tunnels.

Gizimoto gizimoto at bigpond.com
Mon Sep 9 10:15:46 EST 2002

The major flaw with connecting nodes via broadband internet links is that
the upload speed of most companies is limited to 128 or even 64kbps.

iiNet provide a 512/128kbps (download/upload) package at an reasonable
price.  However with 128kbps upload you can only expect to be able to send
data at around 14KiloBytes per second.  As you can imagine it would take
very little traffic to saturate this link.

When you consider that 300-600kbps speeds are achievable with 802.11b trying
to stuff that into 128kbps makes your better than cable connected speed =>
almost dialup.

I was considering this case in Albury/Wodonga where two wireless nodes could
cross the interstate gap from Vic->NSW.  But at these speeds for anything
other than email, it would seem fairly pointless.  Especially considering
the owners of the nodes/internet links would most likely still want to use
them with minimal performance losses.

Besides most ISPs forbid transmission of their internet connection over
wireless to anyone other than your immediate family members (or some such).

    Mark