[MLB-WIRELESS] Long distance links

Mike Everest mw at freenet.net.au
Tue Nov 4 09:55:26 EST 2008

Hi Peter,

> I've done some plotting with radio mobile
> and I don't think the nearest trees are your problem.

As far as tests I made from nearby Ben's location, it was the trees for sure
since I could connect to an AP a few hundred m south of KBN but no sign of
KBN itself.  From my viewpoint, I could clearly see the lovely banks ridge
between a break in the trees (which was probably where that other AP was
coming through)

Looking at your terrain plot, though, seems like there is a bit of high
ground that may block my place from Ben too :(

How accurate is that terrain data?

> You really need to get a note on the nearby hill ,
> It'll then cover all of port arlington and provide
> a great bounce point to melbourne.

That's for sure - it would be a perfect spot.

> If you can start researching the site we can provide
> The expertise and equipment to get it running.
>
> See the plots at;

Nice plots - I wish I had software like that a couple of years back when I
could have really used something like it back then :)

So is the software selecting the radio parameters to determine what is
required to make the link work, or do you need to plug in those details to
experiment with different arrangements?  I guess I'll be able to see it for
myself next week ;-)

Cheers!