[MLB-WIRELESS] Idea for Melbourne Wireless

Peter Berrett berrettp at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 24 15:40:24 EST 2008

Hi all

I was pondering the other day about what potential uses the Melbourne
Wireless network might be put to and an idea occurred to me.

Let's say we were able to put a number of webcams around the eastern
suburbs with the camera's trained on the petrol price boards outside of
suburban petrol stations. A single frame could be grabbed say once a
minute and then uploaded to a central server vi the network.

A number of us live near petrol stations, in fact one of the webcams
already one the network can look into a nearby shell station (Vermont I
think).

One can buy low cost wireless cameras on Ebay which operate at 2.4 mhz
quite cheaply.

The end result of this would be to put up a website with live frames
grabbed from the price boards of petrol stations in a given
neighborhood. People could log in, compare prices and pick the cheapest
service station. Much more effective than the ACCC!

Regards Peter