[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwireless Digest, Vol 35, Issue 11

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Aug 24 12:01:16 EST 2008

Hi guys,

Daryl Knight wrote:
>> Plus if you use BIND on OpenWRT, kiss goodbye to most of your disk space.
>> Sadly, whoever built BIND for OpenWRT did static linking on ALL binaries -
>> meaning huge executable filesize. Considering we're usually working with
>> 8Mb max (without USB keys etc etc), then this is a squeeze.
>>
>> DNS is just as complex. Lets see, a DNS zone for aaa.mw, another for aac.mw
>> etc etc - that's going to add up to a lot of zones very quickly. Syncing
>> those across multiple devices will be a pain.
>
> You could actually do both.  Run dns for anyone that can reach it, but
> provide the
> hosts file for those that can't.  All you need is someone to run it on
> whatever they
> have their access point connected to rather than on the access point itself.
> Alternatively make the DNS available over the net vpn style or something,
> for those
> that can/want to use it.  Got a linux box that doesn't do a lot here, just
> don't have
> a connection to the network at the moment :)

One of the possibilities is to run a DNS server with a WebUI that node owners
could log into and update. Something like PowerDNS (or even WebAdmin).

Make that DNS server a hidden primary, with your public facing sencondary DNS
servers actually serving the load. From your primary you can cron to create a
/etc/hosts file and push that to your web site when ever there is a change.

cheers,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au