[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwireless Digest, Vol 35, Issue 11

Daryl Knight spectre at australiaonline.net.au
Thu Aug 21 16:18:42 EST 2008

>Plus if you use BIND on OpenWRT, kiss goodbye to most of your disk space.
>Sadly, whoever built BIND for OpenWRT did static linking on ALL binaries -
>meaning huge executable filesize. Considering we're usually working with
8Mb
>max (without USB keys etc etc), then this is a squeeze.
>
>DNS is just as complex. Lets see, a DNS zone for aaa.mw, another for aac.mw
>etc etc - that's going to add up to a lot of zones very quickly. Syncing
>those across multiple devices will be a pain.

You could actually do both.  Run dns for anyone that can reach it, but
provide the
hosts file for those that can't.  All you need is someone to run it on
whatever they
have their access point connected to rather than on the access point itself.
Alternatively make the DNS available over the net vpn style or something,
for those
that can/want to use it.  Got a linux box that doesn't do a lot here, just
don't have
a connection to the network at the moment :)