[MLB-WIRELESS] Newbie setup

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Mon Jan 15 13:24:48 EST 2007

On 11/01/2007, at 12:24 AM, Rockwallaby Deluxe Model wrote:

> Rightio, here we go then.
>
>  I've recently decided I want to join the fun at
> melbourne wireless. I'm new to all of this stuff, but
> I have been doing some research.
>
> I hope its not to long winded, but as I don't really
> want to mess this up, I'll go through what I have so
> far.
>
> I have two (one for spare, or to give to a friend)
> pacific monolithics down converters and I
> plan on doing this to them.
>

> http://apache.airnet.com.au/~fastinfo/wireless/PacMon/

In my experience and that of at least one other MW member that mod
doesn't work properly with the Pac Mono antennas. I found the
radiation pattern total distorted with almost no gain at zero degree
elevation - you had to tilt the antenna up or down radically to get
the thing to work.

I note that the page you've found doesn't contain any performance
data for the mod but feel free to try it out. In the end I gave up
and replaced the original downconverter dipole http://
holden.customer.netspace.net.au/antenna/ with a proper 2.4GHz dipole
from Hill's for around a $100 fitted with an N connector.

Good luck.