[MLB-WIRELESS] WL-HDD going cheap

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 29 17:21:47 EST 2006

I've just used the method mentioned on the OpenWRT site to flash the
Freifunk Firmware to a WLHDD.  It worked ok - I had to muck around with the
command-line to get the network interfaces right because I didn't start with
the default firmware.  The default firmware has an NVRAM variable called
"productid", which in this case should be set to "WLHDD".  OpenWRT and
Freifunk detect this variable and set up the network interfaces
appropriately.

For the record - in the WLHDD the network interfaces are:
Wired Ethernet - eth1
Wireless - eth2
eth0 also exists, but doesn't seem to do anything.

By default, eth1 and eth2 are bridged together as br0.  The Freifunk
firmware has some fancy code to auto-detect the wireless interface and to
separate it out as a "wifi" interface.

One other thing - for flashing Asus routers the OpenWRT site says you have
to do this:

tftp> get ASUSSPACELINK\x01\x01\xa8\xc0 /dev/null

to get the firmware to start it's TFTP server and accept firmware images.
I've found you don't have to type all that ASUSSPACELINK stuff.  I've found
that you can "get" anything:

tftp> get A /dev/null

is sufficient.  You can then happily "put" any firmware you want via tftp.

Cheers,

Dan

View my blog:
http://freenetjazz.blogspot.com