[MLB-WIRELESS] WL-HDD going cheap

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 14:06:05 EST 2006

Done it.
In the end I tried the firmware recovery tool from the CD. It uploaded
the trx file and the thing rebooted in WRT
(Oh, the shame I had to use a windows machine to do this, lucky the
kids have one for games )

I tried the method as detailed in the openwrt asus page "control
commands" method but it didn't work. The control commands are not
really anything special, the do a read from the device first, assuming
the existing firmware is called ASUSSPACELINK with the IP address as a
postfix. Then the upload is changing the filename to ASUSSPACELINK.

Looks like the bootloader on this baby is pretty dumb. I found similar
things when taking the minitar bootloader appart, you needed to do a
get of the file first to set the file name for the upload.  Kind of
strange though I didn't receive any data but as soon as I issued the
get command the flashing power light went out, then when I issued the
put command the router rebooted itself.

----- tftp method ------(didn't work for me ------

wailea:~/Desktop jaco$ tftp 192.168.1.220
tftp> binary
tftp> trace
Packet tracing on.
tftp> get ASUSSPACELINK crap1
sent RRQ <file=ASUSSPACELINK, mode=octet>
received DATA <block=1, 0 bytes>

tftp> get ASUSSPACELINK\x01\x01\xa8\xc0 crap2        <----   no magic
here the postfix is the address in hex, tried this with \xdc for the
220 address as well
sent RRQ <file=ASUSSPACELINK\x01\x01\xa8\xc0, mode=octet>
received DATA <block=1, 0 bytes>
tftp> put openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx ASUSSPACELINK
sent WRQ <file=ASUSSPACELINK, mode=octet>
received ACK <block=0>
sent DATA <block=1, 0 bytes>
received ACK <block=0>
discarded 1 packets
sent DATA <block=1, 0 bytes>
sent DATA <block=1, 0 bytes>
sent DATA <block=1, 0 bytes>
sent DATA <block=1, 0 bytes>
sent DATA <block=1, 0 bytes

On Jun 16, 2006, at 6:59 AM, mike campion wrote:

> I have flashed a few of these with no problems using the procedure on
> the openwrt site
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Asus/Flashing , ensure
> you are directly connected to the wl-hdd and not through a switch and
> also use the TFTP with control commands method.
>
> I have also found that if you take too long to issue the tftp command
> the transfer will not work and you have to start from scratch.
>
> Mike
>

> ---- Original Message ----- From: "David Ashburner"
> <d_ashburner at hotmail.com>

>>> tape.  If you've got a spare 2.5 inch HDD lying around then all of a