[MLB-WIRELESS] Building my mast.

Nick Sibbing Nick.Sibbing at arts.monash.edu.au
Mon Feb 14 12:27:38 EST 2005

Phil
have you looked at buying a Hills mast? I looked at custom building a
mast and in the end the Hills Telomast was so much cheaper I dropped the
custom idea.

I had the services of a neighbour who is a steel fabricator and he was
going to do the job for nix and get me steel at cost but the Hills
option was still a fraction of the cost.

There was a chance recently on this list of a bulk buy but sadly that
seems to have faded. But to get an idea of the cost check out Rob
Clarke's site he also has instructions. Freenet has the whole kit for a
9 meter mast for approx $320 plus freight.
http://www.freenet-antennas.com/~freenet-/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=117

 I think there are local melb options that might be cheaper again eg
Radio parts if you know someone who has a trade account or Alvin
Electronics who seem to be mainly aimed at trade customers
http://www.alvin.com.au

Installing one of these is not trivial and you want to get it right as
there have been a few collapsed masts recorded on this list but as the
mast starts from the top of the roof this would probably already be
higher than the one you are designing and a 9 m mast is  lot easier and
safer than a 12 or 15 m

Hope this helps your research

Regards
Nick Sibbing