[MLB-WIRELESS] Newbie question, about Access Point Brand Recommendations

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 14:27:48 EST 2005

Hi Bryce,

>I like the Linksys WRT54GS because of its firmware hackability however I
>believe it assumes that it is directly connected to the internet (my setup
>has a linux pc as the net connected pc, so the WAP will be on a switch port
>behind it).
>Will the Linksys run fine as just an AP behind an existing network and not
>a wireless net router? Anyone have any comments on the Linksys? or know any
>other good brands?

Out of the box you can use the linksys on your existing network. Instead of
connecting the WAN port to your network connect it via one of the four
switch ports. This is covered ion the user's guide (you can download a copy
from the Linksys web site).

I have two WRT54G AP's one connecting me to the Internet and the second
"cascaded" from the first. The second is part of my MW node. Cascading means
I have it connected using the WAN port, it get's its WAN IP Address form the
first and the MW node can pass through my home LAN.

When you get to hacking the firmware you can re-configure the ports as
WAN/LAN however you want using the vlan software.

cheers,
dna