[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: I'm setting up in Camberwell x 3 - I know nothing!

Me guy_vid at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 9 18:45:55 EST 2004

On 8/11/04 10:31 AM, "David Ashburner" <d_ashburner at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Best thing would be to come to the Meeting on Friday and talk to a few
> people.

Shall do!

>> A = Peel Street Kew (3.5kms from B)
>> B = Burke Road (ugly brown building opposite JB hifi)
>> C = Beech Street Hartwell / Camberwell (3.5kms from B)
>
>> I reckon all would have line of sight or pretty damn close. I'm working out
>> how to test this in the next few days.
>
> Looking on a topographical map, you have almost a straight line between your
> nodes but there is a ridge line at either end. Peel Street is over the back
> of one ridge and Beech st is over the back of another.  You may need tallish
> masts at those two nodes to see your Burke Rd node.

Where do you get topographical maps? That's awesome.

>> I want all three of us (A, B, and C) to be able to access a server in Kew,
>> do overnight off-site backups between each other and see what other
>> purposes
>> having three nodes may provide to others.
>
> Is the server in Kew yet another one or is it at Peel st?  Given the
> equipment you have just purchased you could probably do something like this:

The server in Kew is Peel Street. There's only 3 locations total.

> Set up Bourke Rd as an AP with your omni up as high as you can get it , set
> up each of the other two locations as  clients of that AP (like, with a card
> in a PC connected to your grid antennas.  You may need to do a bit of
> stumbling to work out if you can find the AP signal at your other locations
> and how high you need to mount the Antennas.
>
> That would get you connected - but then  the real value would be to have a
> second radio at each of your end nodes running as AP's to allow other people
> to link in to you and become part of the backbone.

I think an omni at Burke road would be the way to go because it'll avoid
using 2 x directionals there, avoids having to allign directionals, and
would be easier to get up high.

I'm sure this can work!