[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: I'm setting up in Camberwell x 3 - I know nothing!

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:31:57 EST 2004

Best thing would be to come to the Meeting on Friday and talk to a few
people.

>A = Peel Street Kew (3.5kms from B)
>B = Burke Road (ugly brown building opposite JB hifi)
>C = Beech Street Hartwell / Camberwell (3.5kms from B)

>I reckon all would have line of sight or pretty damn close. I'm working out
>how to test this in the next few days.

Looking on a topographical map, you have almost a straight line between your
nodes but there is a ridge line at either end. Peel Street is over the back
of one ridge and Beech st is over the back of another.  You may need tallish
masts at those two nodes to see your Burke Rd node.

>I want all three of us (A, B, and C) to be able to access a server in Kew,
>do overnight off-site backups between each other and see what other
>purposes
>having three nodes may provide to others.

Is the server in Kew yet another one or is it at Peel st?  Given the
equipment you have just purchased you could probably do something like this:

Set up Bourke Rd as an AP with your omni up as high as you can get it , set
up each of the other two locations as  clients of that AP (like, with a card
in a PC connected to your grid antennas.  You may need to do a bit of
stumbling to work out if you can find the AP signal at your other locations
and how high you need to mount the Antennas.

That would get you connected - but then  the real value would be to have a
second radio at each of your end nodes running as AP's to allow other people
to link in to you and become part of the backbone.