[MLB-WIRELESS] building a mesh

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Fri Apr 23 14:42:27 EST 2004

Unfortunatelly a mesh on current wireless technology has a few problems.
The main one being that in an actual true mesh the noise floor would be
extremely high.  So you might have a "mesh" network, however it would be
extremely slow.

The only mesh that will truly work is a sectored mesh similar to the way
mobile phone towers work and use separate channels for each sector of
coverage, and separate channels for tower to tower links. Due to the
limitations of current wireless gear you'd be limited to only 3 interfaces
per base station making coverage and linking awkward to organise.

(anyone mobile network guru's please correct me if i'm wrong.)

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I've just joined the list, and despite a look over the archives and the
wiki,
>this question may well be obvious and often repeated, so apologies in
>advance.
>
>I'm interested in how a wireless mesh works. I've got two active wireless
>access points in my home town (Hurstbridge), and some local cafe owners
are
>interested in having a few more (if I set them up). However, I need some
>consistant strategy for this if I want to end up with the town eventually
>covered in a wireless mesh of compatable nodes.
>
>The AP's I'm currently using are build into Billion (BIPAC-743 GE)
Wireless