[MLB-WIRELESS] building a mesh

Craig Ambrose craig at hurstbridge.org.au
Fri Apr 23 14:01:40 EST 2004

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined the list, and despite a look over the archives and the wiki,
this question may well be obvious and often repeated, so apologies in
advance.

I'm interested in how a wireless mesh works. I've got two active wireless
access points in my home town (Hurstbridge), and some local cafe owners are
interested in having a few more (if I set them up). However, I need some
consistant strategy for this if I want to end up with the town eventually
covered in a wireless mesh of compatable nodes.

The AP's I'm currently using are build into Billion (BIPAC-743 GE) Wireless
ADSL Firewall Routers. As you're possibly aware, these don't have the ability
to connect to other AP's, except when in Bridging mode (when I think they are
useless for everything else).

I've read the MobileMesh stuff on the wiki, and it seems like I might have the
wrong routers for the job. My current goal is to gain a full understanding of
these issues before doing more wireless stuff in Hurstbridge, so that I can
add equipment and AP's with a consistant plan towards covering the town in a
coherent mesh.

I've also been intruiged by some of the stuff on this site
(http://locustworld.com/) and I'd love to hear from anyone if this is
particularly revolutionary, or just something that can be done with any old
wireless gear.

If anyone can point me at some online resources, or offer some advice to get
me started, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm a programmer, with a good
knowledge of linux and so forth, so technical responses are fine.

thanks,

Craig