[MLB-WIRELESS] building a mesh

Craig Ambrose craig at hurstbridge.org.au
Fri Apr 23 15:19:01 EST 2004

Thanks Ryan,

Does this just mean that it's impossible to have two many access nodes
overlapping? Perhaps I'm using the term mesh incorrectly as well. My specific
goal is to have multiple access points so that they cover most of the area of
the town (with respect to clients being able to connect). Also, the AP's need
to be networked together wirelessly, but ideally I'd like this to be in an
omnidirectional way, rather than point to point transmissions. It sounds like
you're saying that this is quite possible, but has scalability issues. Is
that right?

So specifically I'm asking what sort of equipment I would need for the AP's.
Ideally, I'm looking for the simplest solution possible, because I think that
many of these AP's might be operated by very non-technical people, and I'd
want to be able to just set them up and let them run.

Craig