[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Mon May 12 11:33:22 EST 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

> awfully painfull to type in though.
>
> And I'm wasn't planning on having every node around me in the format
> nodexxx.....
>
> I was going to throw in more meaningful names, like say my imaginary friend
> Fred, has got a box on the network and everyone knows Fred from the
> meetings (he's quite a character, helpful, loves a drink, tends to get in
> punch ons at meetings, etc) and he wants to have a few addressse for
> websites he hosts, like www.fred.oef.mw, www.crazyassfred.oef.mw,
> kissmyass.fred.oef.mw.

Just my 2c, why not let everyone have their own domain? A "real" .com
domain only costs 20 bucks a year. This way they are portable too - for
example, what happens when someone moves from OEF to a different region?

The links can have node.region.wireless.org.au based addresses to aid in
network design and debugging... but I think that the application level
servers should have a separate naming system.

With regards to requiring routeable internet addresses if you use
*.wireless.org.au hostnames: DNS just resolves a name to an IP. It's not
our problem if someone on the big bad internet can't connect to
192.168.0.1. :) Isn't the idea to always look forward, and assume that MW
will be part of that big bad internet one day...? :)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia
www.camrecord.com  www.camdiscover.com  www.heyasl.com  www.sensationbot.com