[MLB-WIRELESS] New home network, best way to make it and then connect to the wireless world

Arthur Gruzauskas sub1 at gruz.net
Mon Mar 3 02:33:08 EST 2003

G'day all,

I want to make a home wireless network and I wouldn't mind connecting to any
other network in my neighbourhood.

My kids have wireless laptops from/for school, I want a wireless connection to
a couple locations about my block. As a humble parent, my computer is the
best in the house, and also connects to the internet.

I have a few hundred dollars to spare, more if I can give my spouse a good
excuse.. I run linux in several distributions (windows can be done if
needed..)

I've read the FAQ's on assorted sites, but it doesn't help me in making a
decision between multiple wireless cards doing that ad hoc stuff, and some
cards chatting via an AP or two. What I have read gives oodles of specs, but
doesn't actually discuss what works in the real world.

I can't find a reference to a site or FAQ that tells me about the tradeoffs
between a bunch of wireless cards chatting away, and perhaps one or more APs
thrown into the mix.

I have read most of the 3904 emails on the mailing list since I joined, but
this very basic beginners issue of how to connect a home within itself and
then to the mesh doesn't seem to have been touched upon.

Arthur