[MLB-WIRELESS] New home network, best way to make it and then connect to the wireless world

bchild at wireless.org.au bchild at wireless.org.au
Mon Mar 3 08:31:01 EST 2003

Hi Arthur,

Like yourself, I've got 4 different locations doing the same thing, a
internal wireless/wired network and a external wireless network.  I
woulnd't say for ease of use but more for my convience, I've decided upon
using Dlink 713P Access Points.  I chose this item for the many functions
it can do, see link below for specs:

http://www.dlink.com.au/products/wireless/di713p/

Because it has so many functions it basically fills in all the
requirements a internal network can ever need.

ie 3 port 10/100 switch, print server, gateway for either ADSL,Cable or
Dailup internet. I then chose to use Channel 1 for the internal side.

On the links themselves, I used Dlink's 900+ for connecting the nodes
together.  I chose to run them in bridge mode until I could get everything
working nicely.  I also put them on channell 11 furtherest channel
possible from the internal network, as not to create so much interference.
 So far this seems to have worked well.

Specs for the Dlink 900+ can be found here:
http://www.dlink.com.au/products/wireless/dwl900ap+/

Hope this gives you some ideas on what can be done, there are other
methods, I chose this 1 for it's abilty to be done over time.  There are
other more cost effective ways, though I tried, it was to time consuming
to me.

Regards Glen
(Nodes AAC,FTA)