[MLB-WIRELESS] What about?? Was.. RE: Free access to Uni networks?

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Fri Sep 6 09:54:01 EST 2002

I've noticed a lot more networks popping up in my area recently. A lot of
them have WEP enabled on them (but I really don't see the point of that).

Maybe we could try promoting a standard? We could offer our services to
small companies / people wanting to set up a wireless lan. Show them how to
secure the network sensibly (ie not WEP). In return we ask them to route to
the wireless network, set up standard essid's etc.

I have a feeling that in a few years (or less) the noise level is going to
knock out a lot of the medium to long distance links (at least where I
live) unless we start to cooperate with other users of the frequency.

But how do you approach the locals? Knock on someones door and say "I
noticed you are running a wireless network....."

Oh, hey, if the Myretsu guy in Fitzroy is still on the mailing list, send
me an email.

Matt