[MLB-WIRELESS] What about?? Was.. RE: Free access to Uni networks?

KevinL darius at obsidian.com.au
Fri Sep 6 11:37:40 EST 2002

I like this idea.  I can see a few potential problems:

1) We'd need a checklist of items for securing a network, so people knew
what to do - for instance, I'd have no idea how to secure a Mac with an
airport, beyond switching WEP on (which, for all it's faults, does at
least mean people have to make a small effort to connect to your
network).  Are we talking MAC address restrictions?  We'd have to teach
them how to manage them for new machines etc.

2) Whoever does it would have to be platform-agnostic - no going in and
saying "of course, a linux box would be much better than that windoze
thing you've got" - even if it's true ;)  People string together
networks with what they've got, and you'd have to respect that.  Unless
they asked, of course... ;)

3) Potential liability - you'd want to be clear this is a
person-to-person helping hand, no liability accepted kind of thing, in
case it all goes horribly wrong and someone tries to sue for badly setup
security or something.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd say just knock on people's doors and say "I noticed
you had a wireless access point, I belong to a community group looking
to connect wireless access points around melbourne, would you be
interested in chatting about how you can better secure your own network
and maybe connect to others doing the same thing?"  Or thereabouts.

KevinL