Free access to Uni networks? (was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Swinburn e's Wireless Network)

Michael Weinbergs michael at online-admin.net.au
Fri Sep 6 09:07:09 EST 2002

I live line of sight and VERY near Swinburne (I can see ALL of their
buildings from my office window) - but I am not a swinburne student - so
what is the bet that not even 128Kb is coming my way to allow me to browse..
The way I would see if - if I was designing their network - the wireless
links would be on a DMZ - no facilities there except for one IP address (the
VPN peer). Limits the amount of "outsiders" accessing the intranet, whilst
still allowing simple network connectivity.

*Sheesh* If their network grows any wider - it *will* start to impact on
*my* network... geez - a heap of students with wireless connections (and too
much time on their hands) close by... and my wireless link - note to self:
review intrusion detection security urgently :o)