[MLB-WIRELESS] Resignation

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Sun Mar 17 13:23:53 EST 2002

At 12:11 PM 17/03/2002 +1100, Bryce Letcher wrote:

Tyson's done a lot, and his contribution will be sorely missed (please come
back! :) ).

I've sat on the sidelines of this issue and let the discussion pan out a
bit.  However, having been involved in a number of non profit organisations
at various stages of development from pre-incorporation to decades old
established clubs, I feel I should at least offer some input into this debate.

Firstly, there is the issue of size - the Melb wireless group has grown
enormously since I joined the list (in the earlyish days).  The sheer
number of people means some sort of organisation is needed, if we're to do
anything together.  Up until now, that organisation has been done by a
select few individuals (but that's common to just about any club! The
"Doer" to "passenger" ratio is almost always universally low).

Secondly, the committee gives us some focal point, which will become
increasingly important as the group grows, and then network units start
interconnecting.

>Tyson,
>Whlist I've not been involved in this wireless group for long, and have yet
>to make it to a meeting, it has been obvious that someone somewhere was
>going some organising. Thank you. What we very much need to do is to get
>this on to a more formal footing. My suggestions of what we need to acheive
>in the short term are:
>
>* An elected committee comprising a President / Chairman, a Secretary, and a
>Treasurer. More would be welcome, but that would be the minimum to carry out
>the 3 required roles.

Agreed.  However, given that our group here has its roots in a desire to
setup an independent network based on mutual sharing of resources and
knowledge, I feel it's important that out organisational processes take
place in public.  For example, the actual committee should be elected in
public.  However, it may be necessary for those interested to meet or swap
details via email (though again, public is best), to avoid the process
taking an excessive amount of time.  One of the problems I say is the group
of "doers" that organised a meeting at short notice caused a feeling of
suspicion among some of the list members.  Perception is reality,
unfortunately.  It might have been better to have the meeting a week later,
and throw it open to anyone interested (and able to attend!) in the
organisation of the group.  After the meeting, results can be made public
and presented to the rest of the people.

>* We also need a formal contact point. That means a name (like the
>secretary), address (snail mail) and other contact info if possible

Agreed, especially if businesses (e.g. sponsors) get involved.

>* A club membership list, which implys someone to run it, and a formal
>membership application process (ie each member must provide a name and
>address etc.) so we can define WHO the group is.

This will eventually have to happen.

>Down the track we MIGHT want to:
>
>* organise subcommittees who have a special function such as organising IP
>addressing.
>* get a bank account
>* associate our group with other similar groups or have geographicly
>organised chapters - Geelong springs to mind
>* incorporate as a non profit organization (which protects all members in
>various ways)
>* arrange public liability insurance
>* lots of other stuff.........

Agreed, and once we have some organisational structure, we can then tackles
these issues in a democratic manner.

>I also agree with a number of comments about "getting on with it" and I
>don't encourage excessive organisational bull. BUT some is necessary.

It's another case of all good things in moderation.   Organisation is
necessary at some point, but it's only good as long as it serves to allow
the group to do what it sets out to do, and not become an end in itself
(then you get all the political and beaurocratic crap :) ).

>I'd also like to put forward Tyson Clugg as a nominee to the committee
>position of President / Chairman.

Well, I'd second that, but before we jump the gun, hey, we've got a topic
for the next meeting to discuss! - our organisational future! :-)

>rgds,
>Bryce
>
>PS I have no problem with the committee having regular meetings away from
>club meetings to organise whatever, but I'd suggest that all members be
>notified via this list, just in case they wish to attend.

Once the committee is elected and up and running, the committee will need
to have its own meetings to deal with the running of the group, so the main
meeting doesn't get bogged down with these issues.  As you say, committee
meetings should be open to members (though the non committee members do not
have voting rights as a rule - they can observe or put an issue on the
table for discussion in most committee meetings I've seen).

In summary, I feel:

1.  We need some organisational structure - this implies a committee to
manage the day to day affairs of the group and act as a focal point.

2.  We need to discuss these issues ASAP (i.e. next meeting) and decide
what we want, so we can get past this little bump in the road.

3.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are non profit
organisations.  We can decide on issues such as incorporation down the
track when the time is appropriate.  Right now, we just need a little
structure.

4.  As Tyson points out, we're already handling money - and money can be a
sticky issue for some people.

I don't want the group to lose it's almost anarchic appeal, but at the same
time, I don't want to see us lose our sense of direction, or split into
various factions (having a committee won't necessarily prevent this, but a
good committee can help).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth....

P.S.  I'm not aiming to be on any committee, I'm already involved in too
many projects as it is (as well as being on one club committee).

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net