[MLB-WIRELESS] Hold off on buying wireless equipment for a few months!

Joseph Sirucka jsirucka at dodgyware.com
Mon Jan 14 11:47:17 EST 2002

Hi

If everybody keeps waiting the network will never be built.

For one experience counts to overcome the unseen problems that occur on
building a wireless network.

Two if my friends and I just kept waiting we would still be travelling
to one another with a pile of zip disks or burned cds.

At least with 2mb's things were happening and we were able to sort out
what it really took to build a network, e.g what type of antanna's, how
to build access points via a unix box, how to route traffic, etc.

Now were gone to 11mb (more 5.5mb) there was mininum amount of work to
made this transition.

If you kept waiting the network will never be built and there will be no
incentive for people to buy the gear to join. Still the lag time of
sorting problems etc related in group/community effort is no run in the
park, more people skills than technical (coordinating/rallying).

I would say for the network in my area, there is now five nodes and
hopefully by the end of the month there will be a sixth, not bad for
word of mouth and just doing it. People won't join a imaginary vision,
there's no incentive (this ain't a religion or is it). Even a half built
network will gain the initial backbone.

As Trip Hawkins of Electronic Arts once said for any product/etc to be
done, there needs to be x people to pay of the vision to make
visible/affordable and then its cheap/joinable for the masses.

I seem to repeat myself (so shoot me). As I said build it whatever
upgrade it later, but at least people will be incent to join/ buy gear.

Joseph