[MLB-WIRELESS] Hold off on buying wireless equipment for a few months!

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 14 10:54:06 EST 2002

Hey Steve,

<snip>
s t wrote:
 > I don't place comments very often on this group, but my view is that if
 > possible hold off on buying wireless lan 11Mbit cards and access points
 > for a number of months.
</snip>

The 802.11g equipment will (a) not emerge on the market for some time
yet as the IEEE standard has just been set, and (b) cost the earth.

<snip>

> I therefore urge people to hold off
>   till then, rather than waste money now, and replace the equipment
>   in a few months.

</snip>

Setting up an 11Mbps network is *not* a waste of money. People gain
experience with equipment and software. If they hold off until 802.11g
eventually appears, you'll be right back where we are now with few
people able to afford to set up nodes and a lack of wireless networking
experience. And it will become much more affordable setting up an 11Mbps
network, well within reach of even students. I'd suggest 802.11g won't
for some time.
I'd recommend people get stuff in now and build up their skills. Holding
off until 802.11g becomes affordable won't benefit anyone IMHO.
- Barry

--

barry park
http://members.optushome.com.au/barrypark