[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless hardware - The whole lot, one supplier!

Andrew Gibson andrewg at hitec.com.au
Fri Feb 15 12:24:16 EST 2002

The chipset is Intersil - Prism2.

The PCI cards are a nice solution as they are a true PCMCIA adapter and not
a PLX. Also the PCMCIA card supplied with the PCI has an antenna connector.

The new windows Smart Connect software makes configuration and setup easy,
and also provides connection quality. It also allows for scanning for
Access Points.

Zoom Smart Connect vs. Typical Wireless NIC Utility Software
http://www.zoom.com/zoomair/roamcompare.shtml
Screen shots of Smart Connect
http://www.hitec.com.au/zoom/smartconnect.html

The connectors are SMA Reverse Polarity/Gender the pigtails to N-Male are $
30.00.

The RRP of the PCI is currently $ 349 and the PCMCIA is $ 249.

Cards are 25mW (Typical).

There was a review done:
http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/pages.php?page=ZoomAir+11Mbps+card+trialed

The firmware is now updated, and our tests at the Australian Linux Conf
showed little difference between cards. Connectors are available and we
hold in stock. Also the driver software has been updated which gives better
signal indication.

Both the Linux, orinocco_cs & linux-wlan drivers support the Zoom cards.

Regards

Andrew Gibson
HiTec Pty Ltd