[MLB-WIRELESS] node db

Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
Fri Feb 15 12:08:03 EST 2002

> Has hit 400 :)  woot.

Include an option for making your node "private" (becomes visible by
invitation only) and that number should climb rather quickly.

I know that there are *LOTS* of people who are not listed simply because
they don't want:
* Cleptomaniacs to know where all that lovely expensive equipment is
* To get "leaned upon" by corporate bullies (apparently happening in Perth)

There are numerous links already running, far more than are listed at the
moment.  I did a range test last Sunday with someone who is not listed for
these very reasons.

Details of the range test:
--------------------------
* Cisco Aironet Wireless Bridge, diversity mode: one antenna YDI 24DBi
parabolic grid dish, other standard dipole omni.  All mounted on mast on
roof of location A.

* Node 1: Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA in diversity mode inside room below mast
at location A.

* Node 2: Lucent ORiNOCO with pigtail and 18dB galaxy parabolic at location
B.

* Distance betweeen A and B was 3.5km

* Vaugely aligned antenna at location A (+/- 4 degrees pan, +/- 2 degrees
elevation)

* Through trees (~2 large eucalypts)

* Transferred a 25MB file from node 1 to node 2 using FTP at 197kB/sec max,
average 168kB/sec.  Woot!

* "Stumbled" upon 3 "Mitre10" A/P's by accident... NetStumbler is great!