[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/1 2/2002

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 12 19:51:11 EST 2002

At 06:41 PM 12/12/2002 +1100, evilbunny wrote:

>Intentional interference to a commercial site could prove interesting
>to say the least... (not to mention expensive if the ACA find you in
>the wrong, and decide to hit you with a nasty fine over it)

Well, if you interfere with the primary or secondary users of the band,
you're supposed to shut down and/or modify your equipment to eliminate that
interference (or at least get it below the "harmful" level).

The primary user of the band is ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical), of
which the most common device is the humble microwave oven.  So, if the
microwave oven next door interferes with your link.... TOUGH!!!  Time to
invest in a high gain antenna and try and put the microwave into a null.

The secondary user is amateur radio.  In general, expect few problems here,
but there is a small risk of interference.  If both sides work on the
problem, a constructive solution can be found (I'm going to have fun when I
get more active on 2.4 GHz ATV, as I will be my own worst interference
source in both directions! - hrmm, guess I'll have to shut down my WLAN if
it kills my ATV to remain legal LOL :) ).  However, hams must also accept
interference from ISM devices and must shut down or modify their operations
if they are interfering with ISM equipment (i.e. be careful around a hospital).

Then comes WLANs (spread spectrum) and LIPDs (video links, wireless
keyboards, etc) at the bottom of the tree.  These users must accept
interference from the users above and not interfere with them.

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vkradio.com