[MLB-WIRELESS] Wi-Spy

Neal Wise nwise+melbwireless at spy.net
Thu Oct 8 10:15:09 EST 2009

On 08/10/2009, at 9:19 AM, Todd Hubers wrote:

> If you're using it on a laptop, a better solution is to download
> "BackTrack" > http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack_download.html
> I have used this extensively. It's a Linux bootable solution, which
> can set most WiFi devices to "monitor" mode. It contains useful
> packet capturing and analysis software - Kismet. And also allows you
> to test the security of your WLAN, with built in WEP/WPA cracking
> software.

Using stuff included on Backtrack probably isn't going to help much
with problem determination or analysis (other than looking at packets
in wireshark and working it out yourself) because Backtrack's focus is
very much on network/application security.

So depending on what you mean by 'looking after' a wireless network it
may or may not have what you want on there.

That said gtk-spectools (from Dragorn - kismet guy) for the wi-spy is
on Backtrack.

I view the Wi-spy as having a different purpose.  They're handy for
looking for interference, etc from other. *non-802.11* stuff in the
2.4/5GHz bands.  Also the 2nd generation 2.5GHz model and the DBx have
more sample points and are neat for trying to watch bluetooth
conversations occur.

Backtrack makes dealing with patching card drivers for monitor mode
easier and, because Backtrack is a good packaging of other people's
good stuff plus some plumbing, it does have the aircrack suite on it
which you can use for WPA-PSK/WEP cracking.

If you're interested in a couple of videos on WEP/WPA-PSK cracking my
company has a few on youtube supporting our wireless audit training
course. You can match this up with using Aircrack suite on Backtrack.

WEP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZX6Fsgj5dA
WPA-PSK - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCVkWMUSzE

We like loud music so you might want to turn it down when you view
these :-)

Neal