[MLB-WIRELESS] Nasa Tv over MW

Peter Berrett berrettp at optusnet.com.au
Wed Sep 19 21:16:23 EST 2007

Hi all

I'd like to float an idea and see how practical it would be to integrate
into the MW network.

First some background. I am an amateur radio/tv enthusiast and also I
have a few dishes that sometimes are used to receive satellite tv. NASA
Television is available via the Intelsat 701 satellite and there are no
copyright problems with retransmitting it. I have wanted for some time
to transmit this through the vk3rtv repeater however in Australia the
Amateur Radio rules are a bit more restrictive than in the USA where it
is common.

However the fast speeds of Melbourne Wireless seem suited to a service
streaming Nasa TV. I wonder how viable/practical this would be to setup?
Assuming I could get a PAL feed from Intelsat 701 what equipment and
software would I need to make this streaming tv service available across
the network.

More importantly however what would happen if say 100 people all wanted
to watch NASA TV at the same time on the network eg due to a shuttle
launch? Would the streaming tv have to be carried 100 separate times
across the network thus overloading the system or is there some way to
distribute one signal across the network and people can just passively
receive the streamed packets?

It seems to me that if this concept was viable then it might attract
more members and provide a useful service for members. I currently watch
NASA TV over the web but the picture quality is not great. Do we have
the bandwidth at MW to carry a TV signal?

Thanks Peter