[MLB-WIRELESS] Line of Sight

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Mon Aug 7 10:03:35 EST 2006

At 08:04 AM 8/7/2006, gregsonm at aanet.com.au wrote:
>Guys,
>
>I have two locations that are not in line of sight because there are
>several trees in the way. The locations are approximately a kilometre
>apart so distance should not be a problem.
>
>So my question... will it be a problem if there is not 'line of sight' so
>to speak, if not then what directional antennas would be the best for this
>situation.

The answer is "it depends".  I attempted a 1km non LOS path a while
back.  Terrain was basically flat, with trees and houses in between
for the first 1/3 of the path, fairly open after that.  Was running
right on the legal limit, and at the other end...  nothing on
Netstumbler, when using a 20 dBi panel.   Was getting up to 500m
range using lesser antennas.

I will retry another time when I get a higher mast up. :-)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com