[MLB-WIRELESS] Node Classification, costs and alternatives

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:20:47 EST 2005

>I agree, there should be some clear information on what a Node is and how
>someone can get one up and running. Providing information about the
>different approaches ( get it up or hacking) in the form of a flowchart is
>probably a good way to do this.  Perhaps also if we adopt a common
>nomenclature for node types then people can see what they are aiming for
>and what they should be thinking about in terms of cost.

A fine idea.  The Seattlewireless terminology is as good as any.  I think
there's also a certian number of raw newbies who have no idea at all what's
involved in setting up a melbourne wireless node.  We don't want to dash
their hopes of getting involved, but we do need to make it clear from the
outset that you at least need to put some equipment on your roof - you can't
connect with a wireless card with with it's internal antenna in your bedroom
unless you live next door to a MW node.

>One thing that I tried to do a while ago was a wiki page that kind of laid
>out what a node was and then how to put one together, I only got so far
>though.
>
>http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?NodeTypes

I had a look - very nice work!  I hope to contribute some node cost info
when I get the chance.

>I think it may be useful with a bit of rearranging, maybe split it into 3
>parts:
>1. Node Classification
>2. Net Map - this is kind of a logical map like a Radio net diagram. Shows
>who is connected to who.

Hmm, isn't this what Locfinder is for?  Or do you mean an automatically
updated diagram?  One of the guys in WAFreeNet has made a live BGP map of
their network
http://planetaxis.sytes.net/current/bgpmap.cgi
Node GES (http://10.10.144.49) on the MW network has a list of nodes that
are up or down according to their presence in Node GES's routing table - the
BGP above is basically a list like that, but put on a map.  If we could hook
LocFinder into the routing tables from various nodes we could make a "Live"
version of the LocFinder linkages map.

>3. Node Implementation options (and include cost comparisons)

Yes.  There needs to be more concrete examples of what the options are -
what to buy, and how to put it together.  Of course, people can do whatever
they want, but some people don't want to have to reinvent the wheel when
they build their node.

Dan