[MLB-WIRELESS] Linksys WRT54G

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 16:25:38 EST 2004

> > The cool thing I notice with the WRT54G is, like other SOHO routers,
it
> > has a built-in switch on the LAN interface.  Do you think it is
possible
> > to reverse the firewall/routing behaviour in the unit so that the
LAN
> > interface effectively becomes the WAN interface, and vise-versa?  I
ask
> > because I'm wondering if it's possible to hang two "dumb" APs (eg.
> > Minitars) off the inbuilt switch and perhaps use alias interfaces
for
> > each of them.
>
> As it is, all of the ethernet ports are physically connected to the
one
> switch - only some VLAN trickery in the drivers makes the WAN
interface
> look
> separate. So while it might take some major reworking of network code
and
> the web interface, it's definitely possible.

There's an excellent thread on the Sveasoft forums about just this
topic:
http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=191

They have managed to set up all 5 ports of the inbuilt switch as 5
separate VLAN interfaces, all separately routeable.  That'd be an
interesting thing to write a web interface for, especially the
firewalling. :)

Dan