[MLB-WIRELESS] Avaya AP-3

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Mon May 19 11:38:23 EST 2003

>>Hrm. I dont know how different this is to the older AP-1000, its
features
>>are a bit different. The Avaya guy I was speaking too said that they
have
>>a bridge mode, but only to another AP-3, and that it wasnt a client mode
>>as such, so you couldnt attach it to another network as a client.

The AP3 is actually equivalent to the orinoco AP2000. In a remote
distribution situation (ie where the avaya is also a client to another
ap), bridging the wlan i/fs requies a WDS capable ap at the other end.
Another way to skin that cat is to have both i/f's functioning as AP's and
have your backbone feed as a client of one of them.

On a side note, we successfully tested a dlink 900+ as a client to an
avaya AP3 on saturday (over 37km even!).

Darren Dreis
Vice President
Melbourne Wireless Inc.
vicepresident at wireless.org.au
http://www.wireless.org.au

Jamie Moir <jmoir at jmcs.net.au>
Sent by: owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
19/05/2003 10:57 AM

> >>Can it be an access point and a bridge at the same time (with two
cards)
> ?
>
> Yes, you can bridge both wlan interfaces in any mode (eg AP bridged to
ptp
> link, or AP bridged to AP for load balancing)

Hrm. I dont know how different this is to the older AP-1000, its features
are a bit different. The Avaya guy I was speaking too said that they have
a bridge mode, but only to another AP-3, and that it wasnt a client mode
as such, so you couldnt attach it to another network as a client.

Regards,

Jamie