[MLB-WIRELESS] linux ap's

Duncan Robertson duncan at zog.net.au
Wed Jun 25 19:37:07 EST 2003

I set up some APs using the DWL-520 (and a belkin pcmcia card with the
prism chip set) recently and they work well I have found, except:

drivers are quite verbose, still lots of debug output. this can be
turned off by fiddling with syslog/dmesg, or just editing the driver
code.

and the wep in kernel means they can need a fast box for high speed
transfer and/or CPU intensive tasks on the AP can slow down xfers if wep
is enabled. However there may be a way to turn on using the WEP built
into the PRISM card? Anyone know how this can be done?
 (example - exported X sessions thru the AP get quite slow if someone
gzips a large backup file on the AP)

dwl-520 availability: When we were looking at these for our pilot
project one supplier told us DLINK were not making them anymore. But
then when asking DLINK about this they said this was not the case, could
have been just the supplier trying to push us towards whatever was in
stock. This was 6+ months ago and it could have all changed by then
however.

stability: seems to be quite stable, but there has been the odd
unexplained crash that I think is the hostap driver. uptime in the order
of 1 - 2 months rather than the usual linux style "forever or until
power outage".