[MLB-WIRELESS] linux ap's

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Tue Jun 24 16:44:04 EST 2003

I've been running the linux HostAP driver (http://hostap.epitest.fi) for a
bit over a year now.

It definetely has benefits over a standard AP device if you can look past
the size/power-consumption aspect involved with running an actual PC.

Taken from the website.....
"When used with a user space daemon, the combination of the Host AP driver
and hostapd daemon includes additional features. These include support for
IEEE 802.1X and dynamic WEP rekeying, RADIUS Accounting, RADIUS-based ACL
for IEEE 802.11 authentication, minimal IAPP (IEEE 802.11f)."

The driver can also do some groovy stuff when you have several bridged
HostAP PC's where they can run simultaneously as AP's while bridging to
another PC running HostAP.

I'm definetly not the best person to speak to about the extra features as
I'm only using it as a basic AP currently but I'm hoping to look at the
RADIUS authentication ability at some stage.

I believe there's a few guys on the HostAP mailing list using the driver in
some pretty major setups involved many linked nodes and authentication.