[MLB-WIRELESS] xDSL to Node GHO

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Wed Jul 9 14:47:33 EST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, -|- Hurgh -|- wrote:

> I think this would be a great idea, but atm I think the prices are a bit
> high.

I agree, I think we'd all like to see it cheaper. But this is what a
tail costs.

> I have heard around the place that you can get isdn connections (no
> internet) between 2 points for not too much a month, some figures i
> heard ranged from $50-$80 per month. Now this is only ISDN so no
> more than 128k, but that might still be enough just for some simple
> connectivity.

I have looked at ISDN many times in the past, and it can be a good
alterntaive over short distances. Using Data over Voice, rough costs are
around $45 per end per month for line rental, and 18.5 cents a call. The
only problem is this has a limit of 25 Km's before long distance charges
are imposed (after all, the call is being established as a voice call).

Ok for relatively short distances going point to point where ADSL isn't
available.

> I dont think that internet access is a must, infact i think it would
> be better to get the link without internet access (sorry Matt),
> mainly for the fact that if people want internet they normaly
> already have it, and the wireless network if connected, the more
> people are on, the less we will need the internet.

Another advantage of having so much down channel is that file archives
that may become accessable via United IP via peering links will be
accessible as well.

> Ne way, i think it is a great idea.

Thanks .. :)

Chat soon

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----