[MLB-WIRELESS] xDSL to Node GHO

Gizi gizi at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 9 13:04:09 EST 2003

Hi,

I too have been thinking about a solution to linking wireless groups over
large (interstate) distances.  The solution I came up with was one using
ISPs that provide free P2P within each state and bridging each state with
wireless links.  I'm not so sure how your ISP will like this :-/

Basically pick a town on the border of the state, say Albury/Wodonga
(NSW/VIC), gather up 3-4 ADSL users (preferably interested in wireless) from
each town, use a percentage of there bandwidth and a single (or multiple for
redundancy) wireless link over the border.

Using a standard 512/128 ADSL account...

So in its simplest form you have (and the opposite from MEL>SYD):
SYD1
SYD2 -- (512 ADSL Down) -> ALB ~~ (11mbps wlan) ~> WOD -- (128 ADSL Up) ->
MEL
SYDn

The bottleneck is obviously the upload path (128kbps) but using multiple
ADSL accounts with some form of load sharing you could do:
  >WOD1 -- (128kbps ADSL) -\
~>WOD2 -- (128kbps ADSL) --> MEL
  >WOD3 -- (128kbps ADSL) -/

Then of course comes multiple links for redundancy and less impact on
individuals ADSL connection.

Worth a tinker if ever an Albury Wodonga wireless group should appear in the
future.

Mark