[MLB-WIRELESS] To AP or to AdHoc?

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Tue Jan 28 10:18:40 EST 2003

I had the following thoughts on AP versus AdHoc over the weekend.  Kinda
stating the obvious I guess, but still.

on the local level of a neigbourhood wireless mesh - a few km wide with a
dozen nodes or so, I don't believe it makes much difference whether there is
a few AP's connected by directional links or a meshed network. infact , both
could happily exist simultaneously.

I don't think routing and organisational hassles (hierarchy versus small
world, etc.) will exist until the network is much much larger. Either way
there is a place for both types of network service.

Now at home I have a hermes wireless card (can't do AP service, only AP client
or AdHoc) and intend to get a Svec AP (AP client or AP service, can't do
AdHoc).

seems to me I should put up 2 omnis, on for the AP and one for the AdHoc.  I
have 2 802.11 cards too. If I can get them configured and find someone to
take the second one, I can estabilsh a long haul 2 MB link too.

(insert pipe dream note here)
ofcourse, all I have to do now is get a spare wekend and build some
antennas..... :-)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?