[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB-23/01/2003

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Tue Jan 28 09:46:27 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:18 pm, Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
> For no overlap, you have to be 5 channels apart...  That's
>
> 1, 6, 11
> OR
> 2, 7, 12
> OR
> 3, 8, 13

sorry? 5 channels? the sideband interference is 5 channels wide?  Are you
sure? Hmmm. not much of a frequency band selection then...
hang on, that is only 4 channels seperation, 1(2,3,4,5)6(7,8,9,10)11
5 channels apart, 4 channels seperation.

anyone know what shape the off-channel frequency response looks like?

I guess you could have all 14 channels operating at once if you were willing
to put up with really crap transfer rates...

Let me reconsider this.

I guess the point I wanted to make was that limiting MW to a single channel is
a bad idea.  I guess at the same time, my schema (1-2,5-6,9-10,13-14) would
also limit choice.  but it would have a reason.

so on second thoughts, I figure as long as dstumbler is available, when
setting up a new AP or bridge, or new AdHoc network, choose a channel that is
least represented in your local area...

the point about sticking to the selected channels above was that it gave the
best chance of having a decent spacing between channels so that the channel
you select for your new service is as far as possible from any others.

if the channel seperation is indeed 4 channels, then that stuffs that a bit,
but the same principal applies. 1 or 2,  7, 13 or 14 seems the best in that
case

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?