[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: URGENT MIRRORING SOFTWARE

Carl Johnston cjohnston at biziworks.com.au
Thu Jan 23 16:28:37 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 15:10, Matt Pearce wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for the OT post but I need to know if anyone has the capabilities to
> mirror data that is currently on one of 2 drives in a RAID,  the drive has
> been found to be faulty and I am picking up another one soon, to save me
> rebuilding the array from the ground up I want to mirror it across.  The
> mirroring software needs to be able to mirror anything irrelevant of whats
> actually on the HDD.

You might be able to (depending on how stuffed the drive is) use 'dd' to
copy the contents from the RAID device (within FreeBSD) to a larger hard
drive (say, 130Gb).  I'd be very skeptical that simply copying the (raw)
contents from the stuffed disk to a working disk, and swapping them over
would work.

How big is the RAID disk?
Do you have backups? :P

Cheers,