[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11g Starts Answering WLAN Range Questions

Michael_Florence at dlink.com.au Michael_Florence at dlink.com.au
Fri Jan 17 11:18:23 EST 2003

Matt wrote:

"I wonder if there is anyway to force the companies that make all the gear to
rate actual kB/sec at set gains so we could actually sort through all the crap
and really get to the crux of the matter without having to buy first ??"

Matt,

Would be nice if vendors did that, however consider the following.

Wireless networks are extremely environment dependant, any throughput
measurement taken in a lab will be worthless to anyone unless they were using
the unit in exactly the same environment.

Wireless networks are much, much more environment dependant that wired networks
and no-one expects them to work at 100MB throughput, even if the structured
cabling has been certified.

-Michael Florence