[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Here comes the pain...

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Sat Sep 21 18:59:23 EST 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 06:22:59PM +1000, evilbunny wrote:
> Hello Donovan,
>
> most WISPs aren't aiming at long distance, it's not a viable business
> model, for starters AP's can only deal with a certain amount of users,
> 2ndly they couldn't over power someone totally anyway, they have the
> same 4W limits as we do, well 200mW on channels 10+

I was sorta playing "whatif" games, about the 10kms, as was the guy who
first proposed the scenario.

I still think we are seeing the beginning of an "explosion" of commercial
wireless that is probably going to end up with every Starbux, MacDonalds,
Hungry-Jacks, whatever forming (exclusive) aliances with different wireless
ISPs, resulting in wireless, wireless, everywhere, but nowhere you can link
(appologies to the Ancient Mariner).

> in any case this will more then likely increase the number of
> directional, and sector based antennas, as the only unviable option
> will then become the omni directionals... as they will start picking
> up too much interference...
>
> I think you're going off on a complete tangent scare mongering
> people...

Tangent.. yeah, sorry about that :-)

I wasn't trying to scare people...just babbling on really.

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key