[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon Jul 1 17:46:37 EST 2002

I'm gonna stir up some people here and probably start some stupid little
brawl similar to that sydney vs melbourne crap, but anyway...

If you get a wireless network up and running and connected to other people
and then ask yourself "what do i do now".  Then you should take all your of
wireless gear and throw it away because you are too stupid.

This is NOT the same case as BBS's moving to ISP's.
The wireless network is not a BBS, sure it's similar in some aspects such as
file sharing, chat and games, but it is not controlled by anyone and no
access fees are charged and accounting for access would be very difficult.

The next stage of evolution for the wireless network is NOT for it to
provide Internet Access, that is nothing to do with it whatsoever so don't
even mention the word Internet.  IF and when Internet becomes involved it
will be a completely separate thing that "latches" onto the melbwireless
network through someone who is game enough to provide it and somehow account
for the costs and fees involved.
It may even be a completely different group that provide the internet
service and use the melbwireless network to do so.  But again, Melbwireless
and (insert name of dude providing internet feed) are completely separate.

"Internet connectivity is a rather obvious conclusion."   - This is one of
the silliest statements i've heard so far.