[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

Cato cato at codebear.com
Mon Jul 1 16:00:21 EST 2002

At 02:07 PM 1/07/2002, Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:
>If we start looking at providing an Internet feed then Melbwireless moves away
>from being a hobby/interest group/organisation, and moves toward being a
>non-profit organisation/business.
>
>Soon the main contributers have to devote so much time to keeping it running,
>they will have to quit their own jobs and work out a way to draw a wage from
>Melbwireless. We will have to hire accountants to take care of the books
>and god knows what else.

You cannot assume that this is not going to happen. You have to some degree
pretty much described how the ISP industry evolved from the BBS industry.
Look at any PC Users Group and they have gone through this evolution. I'm
not saying that it has to happen but you cannot close your mind to the fact
that it might.

>And i've said it once and i'll say it again.  Why put energy into
>investigating
>the viability of an Internet feed when you could be putting that energy into
>getting an actual network happening.

This does however come back to the question I asked in "What's it all for".

So you get a network happening and ... what? I'm all for doing it for the
sheer technology of it, but somewhere along the way people are going to say
"Well I've got this wireless thing happening and I can see 'x' number of
drives, private FTP sites, whatever. What next?". Internet connectivity is
a rather obvious conclusion.

-Cato (Node ID: FMG)