[MLB-WIRELESS] [proposal] IP allocation (was: DNS, DHCP, static ip... )

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 19:13:29 EST 2001

> I think everyone agreed that 10.0.0.x would be reserved?

i a good idea is to make a database of currently used private network
space... ian jackson maintains a database;
 <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/cam-grin/>

you could grab this software and run this for your allocation.
this will allocate random networks. which is proabably better
than trying to segment IP space on geographic region.

i worked for a large ISP in queensland and we had to reallocate
the IP address space because (we first used RIP,) the routing
was a nightmare... IP allocation on geography is a very tricky
thing to manage.

you can also enter networks that are already allocated,
eg. this copes with "i have 10.1.0.0/24 at home, i dont want it routed!"

use the DNS namespace to determine geographic region.

> on a side note, has anyone played with this?
> http://www.mitre.org/tech_transfer/mobilemesh/

yes, MM rocks. at the moment it only runs on linux.
there is another project to port the protocol to the
mtr platform to make it more portable, (read linux, *bsd, windows)

MM automagically finds other nodes on the wireless network and
adds them into the local routing table... its very cool =)

> >>the following is roughly based on the SeattleWireless scheme, but
> >>altered somewhat to cope with more geographical area, and an absence of
> >>top-down structuring, since i think that is silly at this time.

> >Looks fine to me, except possibly for the selection of 10.0.x.x as the
> >range: I'd prefer something slightly more obscure, like 10.5.x.x or
> >whatever, because I already have 10.0.0.x used on a network I'd like to
> >connect. I suspect a lot of private LANs would start at 10.0.0.1 and work up.

consume.net has been bickering over this issue for about 6 months..

you need to find a solution that you can expand on later as most
people are reluctant to change their IP address once they have
implemented them.

yours,

Kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     | "I'm moving to Theory -  |