[MLB-WIRELESS] [OT] Vista desktop can no longer connect to Internet via Netgear CGD24N cable gateway

Daniel Carosone daniel.carosone at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 10:00:24 EST 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 20:39, Michael Borthwick <holden at netspace.net.au>wrote:

> I hope you'll pardon the off topic post.
>
> At a client site an on Friday a 3 year old Acer Aspire M1610 desktop
> running Vista was working fine and on Monday morning was unable to
> connect to the Internet.
>
> Specifically it does not get a lease from the cable modem router
> whether set to "obtain in IP address automatically" or when manually
> set within the range of addresses the router allocates by default
> (which is the entire 192.168.0.x subnet).

not sure why this would be..

I have put the PC NIC on a 10.10.0.x subnet connected to eth3 of a
> MicroTik RouterBOARD 532 and put eth2 of the MicroTik on the cable
> modem routers 192.168.0.x subnet and created a route between them. The
> MicroTik gets a lease but the PC still cannot connect to the Internet
> (it still shows up as unidentified network) although the PC can ping
> the router at 192.168.0.1

So, you have evidently demonstrated that the pc's ethernet still works,
which is one thing.  Note, however, that unless you had a nat/masquerade
rule in the 532 for the PC, this could have prevented proper internet
access.  It's not entirely clear where the route you added was, but note
that even if the netgear has a route to 10.10.0.x, it may not NAT such
sources out to the internet.

If I'm right, perhaps knowing exactly what happened in this test will help
you isolate the real problem.

> I have reset the cable modem router to factory defaults in case it has
> stored some kind of exception to the MAC of the PC even though I was
> cloaking this behind the RouterBOARD

As above, it may have been a different issue at that point.

> Whirlpool says that the Netgear CGD24N is a bjorked device especially
> for a small business (there are around a dozen wired clients on a
> Cisco switch) and up to half-a-dozen iOS devices at various times. It
> does need to be reset a lot - however after a return to factory
> defaults it is hard to believe it can be fault and all other wired and
> wireless devices are OK, at least for the time being.

I'm guessing it's a windows problem rather than with the router, especially
if other devices are working fine.  Can't really be more specific than that,
though

> I've exhausted my trouble-shooting abilities - particularly on the
> Windows side. Is there some other layer in the Windows OS that could
> be holding it down ? I really don't know where else to look or what to
> try.
> At this stage I'm considering.
> 1. Buyng a new NIC even though the built in one seems fine from a
> hardware POV to see if the "unblocks" it.
> 2. Reinstall Vista from the backup image on the HD.

Boot something else from a livecd and verify the hardware, to start with.
Then at least you have confirmed a software issue on the PC.  That could be
anything from bad/accidental config to malware.

--
Dan.