[MLB-WIRELESS] Data Recovery tools?

Paul van den Bergen paul.vandenbergen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 20:52:44 EST 2010

actually - backups count as my most common question I encounter when I'm
used as tech support - at work we use industrial strength solutions -Veritas
netbackup and multi-petabyte storage... kinda rather too much for home
solutions...

I have no backups at all myself and need to do something about that...

so... what backup solutions do people recommend?

for WinXP

for Vista

for Win 7

for Mac

and perhaps most important -
for Ubuntu....

that being the one I use....

for what it is worth - I have 2 identical 750GB drive spare on my machine -
was hoping to use LVM to make a mirrored drive that then gets important data
- but LVM is telling me I need 3 drives... I don't understand that....

My ideal situation for my home setup is to have that drive pair stripped or
similar as a hardware-redundant pair with auto recovery and then a removable
drive offsite backup...

for others I need a solution that does loal redundancy plus offsite backup -
preferably not internet based - it is usually bandwidth challenged
situations....

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Mark Aitken <nodegxt at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> A big thank you to all of you.
>
> I was  finally successful using Jason's suggestion, testdisk,  this
> appeared to recover many more files than any of the previously used
> software.
>
> One very happy VCE student!!!
>
> Again,  thanks to you all for your suggestions.
>
> Have informed him and his mother....BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!!!!!!
>
> But then I am just a paranoid backup junkie!
>
> Regards
>
> Mark
>

> Jason Clarke wrote:
> > Hi Mark,