[MLB-WIRELESS] Server Virtualisation - (was RE: possible vpn

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Wed Mar 17 17:57:30 EST 2010

G'day,

> 1. The routerboard will only use a TCP openvpn connection, (I have read in
> the past that tcp inside tcp  can have reliability issues)

Yes, RouterOS does not support OVPN over UDP.  I don't know about any TCP
issues - perhaps there may be some typical MTU issues, but since routerOS
can override MSS on any kind of link, if there is ever any problems they
would not be insurmountable.

> 2. I don't think you can select null encryption on open vpn. (CPU
> load/client)

Yes, as far as I know, encryption is an integral part of the OVPN protocol.

Doesn't really matter though - routerOS can support multiple VPN servers
simultaneously, so we simply enable the whole gammit and allow the client
side to connect using whatever method is available.

One other thing - I discovered that routerOS also supports IP-over-IP
tunnels.  That's a surprise - it must be a relatively recent addition!

Cheers,  Mike.