[MLB-WIRELESS] Query: Organising High-Visibility Sites in Geelong Region.

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Sun Mar 1 10:50:33 EST 2009

Hi Victor,

This list, I believe, is well read but seldom replied to.  I've made several
posts here in the past, and in most the cases you can hear crickets chirping
afterward.  I'm honestly not sure *why* that is the case, but I get the
feeling that nobody wants to be seen to be 'in charge' for fear of
overstepping the mark of assumed authority.?  I mean, I've even sent several
emails to 'the committee' which appear to have fallen on deaf ears - I still
don't even know who they are! ;-D

So for the benefit of all readers, let me lay down what I think about this
topic (i.e. obtaining 'high visibility sites') and what needs to be done in
order for it to work properly.

If you want access to a commercial location, then you will need to enter
into a commercial agreement of some kind, and in order to enter into a
commercial agreement, you need an entity to act on behalf of our (Melbourne
Wireless) behalf.  As far as I can tell, this is exactly why MW became an
incorporated entity to begin with: so that there is a legal entity able to
enter into commercially and legally binding agreements and contracts.

But that is all putting the carriage before the horse in the context of
organizing access to good wireless node sites.  The HARD part is getting in
the door. And that can footwork can be done by just about anybody.

If you want to try to organise some new nodes, then I suggest that the first
thing you do is to do some footwork of identifying some good spots, and try
to find out who you need to talk to about them.  For example, you mentioned
the mecure hotel recently.  You might simply ring them up and ask to talk to
someone who manages roof access.  Then ring up that person and straight out
ask them.  Say that you represent Melbourne Wireless, "a non-profit group
aiming to establish a fast, free, metropolitan area wireless network based
on existing off-the-shelf 802.11
<http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?802.11b>  based equipment"
(lifted right off the web site) and you would like to talk about obtaining
access to the roof for purposes of a wireless node.  The response will be
one of a few possibilities:

1.       Sure, it will cost $x,000 per year/month

2.       I'm not interested, piss off

3.       Sounds reasonable, send me a detailed proposal

Obviously the first two responses are a dead end.  If you get the third
response, then let's talk.  I have plenty of background in drawing up these
sort of proposals, so I can certainly chip in at that point and help out.

The only thing remaining, then, is to make sure that we are authorised to
act on behalf of MelbourneWireless, and my suggested tactic to ensure that
is as follows:

a.       Pay your membership.  It's only $20 a year (at least until the next
AGM) - which is arguably optional, since many of the committee members are
allegedly non-financial at the moment! :-D

b.      Announce your intentions in the list (and perhaps copy to
committee at melbournewireless.org.au)

c.       Go ahead and do it. (Sure, you can't sign on behalf of MW, but you
can at least get to the point of shoving an agreement under the nose of the
MW president for sign-off!)

One more thing:  the AGM is (apparently) next meeting.  It hasn't been
'officially' announced yet, so I may as well do it ;-)

I encourage you to come along and meet some of the committee members -
whoever they are - which is a good way to get some answers since they can't
ignore you (as easily) when you are there in person! :-D

Cheers!

Mike.