[MLB-WIRELESS] Routing protocols

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Thu Oct 16 09:11:44 EST 2008

G'day!

Yes, I have done that already - my questions was really just a reply to your
statement that "there was a reason for them" and I guess I was just curious
as to what that reason might be ;-)

You are right about the production network, of course, but I still like the
idea of advertising some of my live subnets into the MW net.

What I'm considering at the moment is a scheme that can do this reliably and
efficiently:

I am going to create a border bewteen my production network and the MW net
in general.

The border will be essentially a link between the client (I call it KBN-JEE)
currently connected to JEE and another router I use as a gateway between my
home network and my live network. I'll run BGP on that gateway, and set up
KBN-JEE as a BGP peer.

Something like this:

          -------+        +--------+          +---------+          +--------
 DuxTel/VBRN Net +--OSPF--+ BORDER +----BGP---+ KBN-JEE +--OSPF----+
JEE--MelbWireless
          -------+        +--------+          +---------+          +--------

That essentially uses BGP as a mechanism to filter the routes learned by
KBN-JEE from MW so that I do not risk letting junk come into the live
network.  At the same time, this scheme will let me preferentially present
selected live subnets into MW and then advertise through OSPF by KBN-JEE.

I think that this may be a useful model for other MW nodes that border on
independent networks, and perhaps even between clusters of MW nodes.
Exactly where those borders can be entirely determined by the independent
node operators, and should be dynamic enough to permit relatively ad-hoc
implementation.

It's kinda like federation in reverse ;-)

The big question now, is what AS numbers to use?  I could just pull one off
the list of private allocations, but it would be a better idea to try to
adhere to any existing allocation schemes already out there in the world of
community networks.

Anyone know of existing AS allocation schemes that we can buy in to?  I
suspect Kim Hawtin will have a suggestion or two (?) :)

Comments anyone?